Saturday, October 18, 2008

Robot Finished!

Finished! Hubby has put in a vote for no felting... so guess I will have to knit another for the great felting experiment. Yay!

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Very cute Robot, Jeannien.
I bet he would look great felted...so I guess you had best get busy on your next Robot.
Mom

Anonymous said...

Yay, so cute! Would a felted robot be fuzzy (an oxymoronic! robot)? Where in the world is this one off to?
Des

Anonymous said...

Hi Jean -

As someone that reads this blog because I adore you (and robots), I have no clue what you mean by felting? What does that look like?

Ann

robotknitter said...

Hey Ann -

You are a sweetie!

Have you ever put a sweater into the wash and had it shrink up on you? That's felting. More than the heat, it is the agitation in the wash that causes wool fibers to bind closely to each other.

Done deliberately, it transforms a floppy, knitted piece into a more rigid fabric - and is perfect for creating hats, slippers, bags, and robots, of course.

Check out the before and after of the laptop case and you'll see what I mean:
Before (big and floppy)
After (smaller and solid)

By the way, if you ever want to learn how to knit, let me know. I bet you would come up with fantastic ideas!

Sara said...

I love the new design! My robot would like to come and visit the new guy. I like the felting, but nice to have variety. Best feature is that he now has both arms.

You're a knittin' machine, girl.

robotknitter said...

I am now selling finished robots at http://robotknitter.etsy.com
or you can make your own proto from the free pattern posted at robotknitter.com - Let me know what you think!